Saturday, August 1

Flea Market Saturday #6: August Already?

Summer Evening by Childe Hassam

The curtain and dress are clues that the field beyond the window is far from the Kansas prairie. But the way the woman wistfully touches the geranium is the same as a pioneer woman's out where reminders of the home left behind were brought along as seeds and lovingly grown in clay pots.

This painting was a gift to the Florence Griswold Museum in Lyme, Connecticut, the center of Impressionism in America. Pop over to this week's Thursday Drive: Olde Lyme's Art Colony for an thoroughly charming two-part video about "Miss Florence's" boarding house and the group of artists called the Lyme Art Colony.


Willow of Life at Willow Manor has posted fabulous photos of Naked Ladies.

No, not ladies minus their bloomers! Flowers!

In my neighborhood, we call them "Surprise Lilies" because you don't know you have any until they appear overnight, fully grown, around the end of July.

Surprise!


Much thanks to Lily Hydrangea's Anonymous Blog for sharing Dance of 1000 Hands. If you haven't seen this breath taking video, you're in for a treat! The precision required reminds me of the water ballets in old Esther Williams movies, sans the water, of course.


Karla of Ramblin' Roads and her family are near the end of a road trip through ten states while camping in a fifth wheel along the way.

It may be the tail end of their journey, but reading about their adventures in earlier posts will lead you to equally delightful posts about Life BTT (Before The Trip).


"Mr. Gaiman Came To Play" is Dead Man Talking's review of Neil Gaiman's murder mystery The Graveyard Book at Blogging a Dead Horse. DMT is a grandfather of five who happens to be Oregon's Graveyard Rabbit (GYR).

Visit Margaret of The Old Digger and read her
marvelous but brief history of Coca-Cola!


What! No Brit blogs? Has Jama gone daft?

Not to worry, Dear Reader.

Despite watching the delightful Joan Hickson as Miss Marple all week, my favorite British phrase is still "nippy on her (his) pegs" - meaning 'quick on one's feet'.

I didn't learn that at Brit Gal in the USA, but Sarah does do a feature called Brit Word Of The day. If perchance you're planning to pop over to England (not a good idea now as most of the country goes on holiday in August), you might want to stop in at Sarah's and brush up on authentic BritSpeak.


Have a great week!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

13 comments:

debra@dustjacket said...

Thanks for links, I just love the first painting, really beautiful.

xxx

Lola said...

Love the first painting too - plus the naked ladies!

Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend,

xxxLOL Nora & LOLA:)

btw you're most welcome to join the fun at our Awards party over at my place - copious champagne + gorgeous companyxx

JamaGenie said...

Glad you like the painting! Nora, I'll be right over!

Lola said...

Me again!

So glad you enjoyed the party and better luck at the next giveaway! (Bet yours would have been a terrific acceptance speech!)

xxLOL LOLA:)

PS Daniel's still going around with the champagne bottle but it's looking a lot emptier now...lolxx

Anonymous said...

Hubby and I took a drive today and saw several "naked ladies"...I would love to grow some myself and am glad to know the real name of them now!☺

Duchess of Tea said...

Thank you darling for introducing us to all these fascinating blogs, you are so kind to take the time and a post to recognize talented bloggers and to bring them to our attention. That is why the Duchess adores you Jama darling.

Have a sweet pea day!!

Duchess xx

JennyMac said...

Love all the new links to explore. Thank you!

Tess Kincaid said...

I finally made it over to say hello and was surprised to see my front door! Thanks so much for the mention. I'm looking foward to getting to know you. :^)

Tess Kincaid said...

Hey, I just noticed "Find a Grave" on your sidebar. It has been a valuable tool in finding some lost folks in my family tree! Do you contribute photos?

Frieda Babbley said...

What a perfect flea market, Jama Genie. I love your description of the Geraniums. Seem I have a lot of nosing about to do. Thanks!

JamaGenie said...

Laeriss, you're most welcome! A Heart in Provence is more than a blog, it's a feast for the eyes and the soul!

Willow - Yes, I do contribute photos to Find A Grave. I also add memorials (pages) for my own relatives and ancestors if there aren't any for a particular person. If one has been added by a non-relative, I have the memorial transferred to me so that I can link parents and siblings to it.

Frieda, nose about to your heart's content. There's a lot here!

Slices of Beauty... said...

Lovely first painting!
Also love your 'About me' description, really cute.

Anonymous said...

Great links, they will keep me busy today, thanks!