Monday, July 20

Monday Mishmash: Guernsey & Potato Peel Pie

What a gorgeous cover!

It pains me to admit publicly that I don't keep up with the New York Times Bestseller List. That unless it jumps off the shelf during my monthly stocking-up at our library's Booktique, I have to be alerted to the existence of a particular book in some other fashion.

For example, a link at marley&lockyear introduced me to The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and niece Annie Barrows.

"As London is emerging from the shadow of World War II,
writer Juliet Ashton discovers her next subject in a book
club on Guernsey--a club born as a spur-of-the-moment
alibi after its members are discovered breaking curfew
by the German soldiers occupying their island
."

Co-author Annie Barrows on how the book came about:


Listen to some of those "twenty voices" from the book:


The book has its own blog, which includes a recipe for Potato Peel Pie.

Sadly, you'd have to be very hungry (or starving!) to eat that version.

Luckily, after Nancy Miyasaki's book club read GLAPPPS, she came up with an infinitely more edible version and posted it at CookEatShare.com.

Nancy's Guernsey Potato Peel Pie

2 cups raw, grated potato skins (add some of the white part to keep texture somewhat tender)
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup grated onion
3 Tbs flour

Mashed potatoes for filling
Sour cream (optional)
Chives (optional)
Butter (optional)
Garlic (optional)
Beetroot to sprinkle on later

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a small pie plate.
Mix grated potato peels with egg, onion and flour.
Press the mixture into the pie plate and up the sides to form a crust.
Bake crust for 20-25 minutes.

While crust is baking, cook potatoes, drain and mash. If desired, add favorite mashed potato flavorings here (garlic, onion, milk, butter, salt, etc). Fill crust with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with beetroot. Reduce oven to 375 and bake for 10 minutes or until browned.


St. Peter Port Harbour, Guernsey, Channel Islands

Guernsey, btw, is the largest of the four self-governing British Islands of Guernsey in the bay of St. Malo in the English Channel (hence, Channel Islands), 30 miles from the north coast of France and 70 miles from the south coast of England.

It can be reached by air via daily flights from Heathrow and other UK airports, and by ferry from Weymouth, Poole and Portsmouth. The other islands (Alderney, Herm and Sark) can be reached by ferry from Guernsey.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Frank McCourt (1930-2009). R.I.P.

10 comments:

debra@dustjacket said...

Thank you so much for such an informative post, you really are good at these ones!!
xxx

JamaGenie said...

Thanks! Originally I was only going to post the cover and a bit about the book for Postcard Friendly Friday, but a little voice told me to dig deeper - and I did.

Lola said...

Hi JamaGenie!
Just stopped by to say you’ll be relieved to read you haven't been “tagged” in my latest post!
(Not enough hours in the day as it is!)

Terrific post as always - so informative!

Have a wonderful day & see you again soon!

xxxLOL LOLA:0
Totally agree - RIP Frank McCourt.

JamaGenie said...

Oh, dear...I wasn't tagged (she moans, *pretending* to be horribly disappointed). lol!

Wendy R said...

Dear JG

I think your post is wonderfully various, cheering and positive as well as being (apparently...) sort of 'off the cuff.' I love the history touch. It made me want to read the book and come back to your blog.

I'm not cook but I am a reader and a writer.

Wendy R

Duchess of Tea said...

The Duchess of Tea has bestowed a title upon you. Her Grace requests the honour of your presence at the knighting ceremony to be held at Rose Tea Cottage.

I will be honoured it you would copy & paste the Award on your site.

Meg Brookman, Philip Jenck said...

Well, thanks very much, Jama. As if I don't have enough to cry about I'm sitting here weeping buckets over the GLAPPPS video. Will order the book from the library ASAP.

And may I concur with others by adding that your site is a wonder filled with a world of fascinating tidbits. I feel as if I've fallen into Harrods Food Halls and someone has handed me ten thousand pounds to do with whatever I please!

(If you have an inkling of how much Harrods Food Halls means to me, you know you'll never get a better compliment than that!)

Guernsey Islands said...

Very nice. You can find many sandy beaches and places of historic significance in Guernsey.The bays of Havelet and the rocky Belle Greve are considered in high esteem for their stunning views. You can enjoy yachting and snorkelling in Havelet. Vazon Bay is considered among the largest beach.You can experience host of water adventure sports in Pembroke and the l’Ancresse Bay. Dont fail to visit waterfall, towering cliffs and the wonderful sandy bay of Petit Bot bay.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

JamaGenie said...

Well, thanks, Anonymous! Glad you like it, and that you notice improvement! The holidays and a new grandbaby took me away from blogging for the last month or so, but I hope to be back on track shortly.