Friday, July 10

Postcard Friendship Friday: Winter In July

One of the oddest souvenir postcards ever...

At first glance, you'd assume this was made in late fall or early spring, but on the back (in Josie's handwriting) is: "Taken at San Francisco, July 1920".

San Francisco can be chilly any time of the year, but winter coats in July?

The two young ladies on the fake donkey are Hazel and Edith MORRIS, whom you met previously as Baby Hazel & Edith. Their mother Josie (my great-aunt) is at left, and their father, Samuel Grant Morris, at right.

A much younger Josie (the year before Edith was born) is at the top right of this week's Wordless Wednesday photo. Josie was also the mother of Owen and Howard Morris, whom you met in another PFF.

At any rate, the photo on the postcard was obviously taken inside a studio, so why the coats? Perhaps they were only props to bolster the illusion of being on a high mountain pass. Snow-capped peaks are visible at the far left.

And whose little girl was this?

I have absolutely no idea...

She doesn't resemble anyone else in my collection of studio postcards. I suspect she's one of the Swedish cousins, although they usually wore white in photos. Alas, postcards don't have the photographer's imprint, so back she goes into the "Unknown" file for another day.

Happy PFF!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Marie Reed's Postcard Friendship Friday

13 comments:

Marie Reed said...

sniff..sniff.. It's cold here for some bizaree reason this week. I'm in a sweater and jeans and when I went out this morning I ran for my jacket.. buttt... that i HILARIOUS that they would wear their coats inside a studio! It did make me instantly believe that it was taken outside! I didn't even notice that it was a fake donkey because I was too intent on looking at your relatives:)

JamaGenie said...

I must've looked at that postcard a half dozen times before I read the back and it dawned it wasn't taken outside! And that donkey... What were they thinking?

JamaGenie said...

P.S. Hope it warms up in your part of the world!

Lola said...

Hi Jama!
It's over 30C here in Southern Spain so the postcard of the coats in July in San Francisco (plus fake donkey!!) really made us laugh!!

Lovely post as always!

Have a wonderful weekend,

xxLOL Lola & Nora:)
btw thanks for stopping by & yr so witty comment! Hope you enjoyed the fun as much as we did!

JamaGenie said...

It's been almost 100F here in the Midwest too, so I thought winter coats in July would be a perfect choice for today's PFF.

Loved the "Rescue Mme" post, but had to bite my tongue not to mention a fellow on another site who uses Johnny Depp's pirate for his avatar and online persona, and that his "ship" HAS internet access! lol!

Debby said...

It has been very cool here in Canada, also, not winter like, but cool just the same. I love the pic of that sweet little girl, wonder who she is.
debby

Sheila said...

You have to admit they do look self-conscious. They probably felt as odd as they look.

Continuing the world weather round-up, it's cool in the UK this week, after sweltering last week.

Aimee said...

What a great card! I've been to San Francisco in March and it was chilly, but we still didn't need heavy coats. July? I don't know about that!

Terry said...

Howdy
Happy PFF to you .
what a great photo postcard .
Coats in July had to go with the background .
If not than I give up :)
It was so much fun to look at this one .
There are so many fun stories connected to our ancestors and their photos ,if only they would have written them down somewhere !
I am so thrilled that you have this wonderful collection and are so willing to share your research with us.
I always get encouraged to keep digging into my family history.
Have a fabulous weekend.
Happy Trails

Postcardy said...

Postcards like this are a lot of fun.I also think they probably had prop clothes to wear in the photo.

JamaGenie said...

Thanks for all the weather updates! Josie and the girls *do* look self-conscious, so I'm sticking to the theory that the coats were props. If so, then I'm not surprised Sam didn't go along!

Hope you're all having a great weekend!

Beth Niquette said...

How VERY wonderful!

I’m sorry I am coming by so late for Postcard Friendship Friday. My parents were involved in a roll-over accident on the freeway last Monday. Miraculously both of my dear parents survived and are recovering, leaving little time for blogging. I had a few minutes just now, though, so here I am.

Happy PFF!

JamaGenie said...

So sorry about your parents' accident, but ever so glad they survived. That's a miracle in itself! No need to apologize for coming late. Sounds like you have your hands full right now.