Thursday, January 29

Pineapple Porkettes from 1936

Not about Hawaiian Ladies Who Lunched Too Much.
I often visit our state's historical society library to look up obituaries in old newspapers on microfilm. Since most of the machines are "crankers" - scrolling is accomplished by turning a handle on the side - I've learned to turn it very slowly when nearing the correct page.

By doing so, I also get a glimpse into the past in the form of a local store's sale ad for winter coats for $5, or a notice that Tom Window is now available for house painting and other home repairs, or tasty recipes submitted by readers.

Since today happens to be the 148th anniversary of Kansas Statehood (Jan 29, 1861), a recipe for ham patties on pineapple slices with a dollop of mashed sweet potatoes on top seemed visually appropriate. Try to forget that calorie- and fat-wise, this is surely an artery clogger. But remember in 1936, housewives didn't know what they put on the dinner table might be putting husbands on the fast track to an early grave.

Also back then, every household had a meat grinder that clamped onto the edge of the kitchen table for turning the week's leftovers into meat loaf. If your supermarket won't grind the ham for you, these inexpensive, hand operated meat grinders can be found at most any farm supply store, and would be a handy addition to any kitchen.

Pineapple Porkettes from the Topeka Daily Capital, August 12, 1936:

3 cups ground ham
1/4 cup catsup
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp pepper
8 slices pineapple
4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
4 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup cream
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Marshmallows (small)

Combine ham, catsup, evaporated milk, dry mustard and pepper. Mix thoroughly and form into 8 small flat cakes the same diameter as the pineapple slices. Put one patty on each pineapple slice.

To mashed sweet potatoes, beat in butter, cream salt and pepper. Pile lightly on ham patties. Place on well-buttered baking sheet and bake in moderate (350 degree) oven for 30 minutes. Top each with marshmallows and return to oven for 5 minutes to puff and brown.

Serve vegetable of your choice and dinner rolls. Enjoy.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

14 comments:

Midwest Mom said...

Oh, my. I'm not from Kansas, so can I pass on this one?

;)

- Julia at Midwest Moms

JamaGenie said...

Far as I'm concerned, it's okay for non-Kansans to pass on (and try!) this recipe! LOL

Anonymous said...

Hey Saturday! Does this recipe come with Weight Watchers Points or an M.D.'s phone number? No? Great, I'll have it for dinner tonight!

Very great blog. First time over here. I have my hands full keeping up with hubpages. But now that I've been here, I'll come back more often.

Your new pic is very "couture". Much more hip, but so much less like a librarian..... (I know, you're not really one, but because that's what I first assumed when I first read one of your hubs, the pic was automatically and permanently plastered in my head as the picture of a librarian.) This new picture opens up all kinds of new doors for you in my mind. Let's see.....Runway Model, no, then you'd never be able to eat Pineapple Porkies. Okay, maybe Magazine Editor. That's a possibility. Of course when I think "magazine editor", I think, "13 Going on 30" and "The Devil Wears Prada". You're too much fun for 'Dragon Lady', and you did post the hub about Gay guys being great girlfriends..... Okay, so for now, your new pic makes you a Fashion Magazine Editor.

I guess I should quit. It's your blog, after all.

Great job. Glad you invited me over.

Anonymous said...

Nope. I'm Monday's child. What does that make me?

JamaGenie said...

According to the nursery rhyme, all of which was here until a few days ago, Monday's child is "fair of face". Whatever that means.

Here's the whole thing:
Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for his living,
And the child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.

JamaGenie said...

Proud Mom, no Weight Watcher points or MD emergency number for the Pineapple Porkettes, so....ENJOY! As for Fashion Mag Editor - thanks!

Unknown said...

Well I'm sorta from Kansas LOL and I know I had something like this at a church supper there sometime or other. I loved this post--not only the recipe but definitely the happy birthday Kansas card--BTW is that Tom Window from down in Burlingaime???

JamaGenie said...

Why yes, pinkpackrat, the ad for Tom Window the house painter *was* in an old Burlingame paper. What a small world!

Stephanie Hicks said...

LOVE this, and the new design for the blog! All the best... You just rock. :)

JamaGenie said...

Thanks, Steph! The new header is something I put together in a moment of graphic creativity to make SC a bit more "grown up". Glad you like it!

Shalini said...

Love this blog - and, fellow Gemini, since I just love sweet potatoes, ham 'n pineapple, this recipe is just what the doctor ordered!
Thanks for visiting my blog - you've inspired me to post some more!
btw, I'm Monday's child like Proud Mom - and it just means goodlooking - as in 'fair Olivia/Beatrice/Juliet or whatever old world character :)

JamaGenie said...

Thanks, Shal! Glad you found something you like! And I do hope you start posting again on your own blog. I find a blog a nice break from HubPages, because posts can be much shorter.

Duchess of Tea said...

I have the Victorian Details also. I adore the dining room on page 36

JamaGenie said...

Oh, this is getting spooky. Victorian Details was already out of print when I learned of it, so I was lucky to get one of the last used copies available. But I've never met another soul who has it!

I adore the DR on p. 36 too! And...the lamp on 106 and 107! And...never mind, it's be easier to tell you which pages I don't like!